Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It started with a cigar store label.

I love packaging, displays, vintage and pop culture art. A friend of mine built a website for a local cigar store and he brought back an armload of cigar boxes. Beautiful ladies adorned them and I thought, what fun these faces would be on brooch's. So, I dug out my beveled glass and copper foil from past stained glass projects, downloaded public domain photos and like a mad woman began creating these "big bang'in brooches." (add a pretty ribbon or your favorite chain and you can utilize them as a pendant)

Victorian postcard images, storybook characters, pop culture icons and other images that had me laughing out loud found their way behind the beveled glass. I pinned one to my floppy, let's go antique'in/junkin hat because every hat should have a little sass. The cigar box label brooches have all sold to cigar smokers who were wise enough to bring home a little gift after hanging around with the boys playing cards all night. (I'mma gal who loves a good bribe, especially if it is jewelry)

Some projects just amuse me and this is one that certainly had
me smiling. I hope you enjoy them too.

The Love Peddler is from a dime novel cover, the Irish lass and Red Cross worker are from Victorian postcards, and our cheerleader is from a pinup calendar.


The great Eartha Kitt, the definitive catwoman and a pinup couple...fun at the beach!



Pinup gals from calendars and of course, the fabulous Josphine Baker.

Fairy tale and storybook illustrations and an Edwardian post card.


Sacred Heart icons, pinup gal and the great Billy Holliday.


Images that make me smile. Nothing like Doris Day looking back at you, love the wild eyed swami and my personal favorite, the government issue WW2 stamp out syphilis poster!


and last by not least, more Victorian post card images.

(Dari, the artist, lives with her man and her rescued dog and would rather be making jewelry, antiquing and junkin, baking and diving than working her 8 - 5 gig.)

No comments: