Monday, February 6, 2012

Madness, I tell ya, madness.

It has been a mad, mad, mad, mad world around my house since I last posted.  I have missed reading your posts and missed posting my own.  Since the "great flood" right after Thanksgiving, we have had the washing machine repaired, new flooring installed in the kitchen, the master bath and the laundry room, and finally, this past week, new carpeting in the hallways, two closets, the living area and the dining area.  Spent all last week moving most of what we owned into the guest room and then back out of it.  You could open the door to enter but couldn't get farther than a foot into the room.

Just getting started as I piled drawers upon drawers and filled every space I could with "stuff." 

View from the door.  I don't even want to think about when I have to move this all back in place again.

Most of this is now back where it belongs, some was donated to Goodwill and others were brought into my booths at Queen of Hearts to sell.  One of the positive outcomes of this whole experience is that it has allowed me to literally "clean a little house" and move things out. 

Have a little more emptying out to do and in between preparing our taxes, I hope to finish by next weekend. 

Had to take a day to relax or I was going to go a little nuts so Sis grabbed me on Saturday and we spent the day running around.  She has been as busy as me and we haven't had time to hang out so this was a treat for both of us.  We decided to hit our favorite chocolatier, Maison Robert, to "christen" the day. So glad we made this stop because they had it filled to brim with Valentines Day decor.

Velvet heart towers, enamel red souffle dishes, graphic heart boxes, and so many other choices for you to fill with their hand made chocolates for your sweetheart.

Ohhh, the display case.  Be still my beating heart.

I could eat my way into oblivion if I ever got behind the other side of this counter.  Sis purchased a red velvet gift heart box and a freshly made that morning rum ball the size of Cleveland. I purchased a 1/4 pound of my favorite...Hazelnut Buchette's and a slice of their flourless chocolate cake for my honey and me.  Add a strong cup of freshly brewed coffee and sis and I were out to take on the day.

While there was a record snowfall in Colorado, we had 65 degrees in Atlanta so it made for a lovely "spring fever" kind of day and perfect for schlepping and junkin.

Love these vegetable serving bowls that were give aways in the 1930-50s.  This was from the Ware Drug Company as noted on the back.

Items from my home that I am moving on.  I used to sit on this little metal ice cream parlour stool when I did demonstration spinning on my wheels.  Kids are grown so I just don't do the demos at their schools anymore and grandkids are far enough away that I don't think TSA would let me carry it on.  The pretty contemporary Indian pot with the pastel colors needs a new home as well.  I collect traditional Indian Pottery when I can find it.  Pastel colors are just not in my decor. 

Also from my home and now looking for new digs to hang out in.  This fantastic and heavy, rare fuel gauge can. This bad boy is big and always stopped guests in their tracks with questions about what it was used for.  You can't get more American Road collection than this.

Found lots of cupid items this weekend.  Lucky me, as these always do well.   Pretty hard paste plate in shades of pine green.

I think this is just too sweet for words.  Cute little cupids on a pretty bone china plate.  I think these plates make lovely valentines for the one you love.

Found this sweet little hand painted violets creamer and cabbage roses butter plate. Both late Victorian.

An old lamp part that I repurposed into a candle holder.  Heavy pot metal casting of a cupid and bird.

Where this water pitcher may look huge, it is really a gentleman's water pitcher to be used when shaving and brushing one's teeth. Much smaller than a water pitcher but larger than a creamer, these are dear to find as they were often broken first over the years.  Warwick China Company.

Four Homer Laughlin soup bowls with pale pink rose in the center.  How pretty to serve your favorite soups and than know when the bowl has emptied a rose appears to your guests and your loved ones.

Not very old, (1970s) but a lovely little butter server in Silverplate.

Don't you agree it would make the perfect way to present a diamond anything to your favorite valentine?

Bought four of these antique Chinese furniture panels.  Love the ghost images of ladies past on the brilliant poppy red oval.  Although you can't see it, the black edges are all trimmed in highly decorative scroll work.  I love these pieces for their decorative elements.  Displayed on small easels or mounted on your wall, they have a very artsy quality about them.

Lucky me, came across another piece of Polish Stoneware for cooking/baking.  Keeping this for my kitchen. I adore this cookware but it is expensive so when I can find a piece at a take it and run now price....I do.

Retro cool Playboy flask.  This flask is a small one that actually fits in your hip pocket or shirt pocket.  Very 1970s.

Came across these handsome Shaolin soldiers at the Goodwill store.  Price tag sticky said Pikes Nursery with an outrageous price on each...I snagged all three for pennies.  They are heavy, tall and handsome and will look wonderful in a garden, patio or spa room.  Love the patinaed green shades.

Antique fish holding net.  Another one of my home items from a guest bathroom. It was all done over in seafaring items.  With the new flooring, I'm now going for a spa feel.

Jackpot...a pair of lovely Lenox items in the coveted sage color.  Impressions of leaves and ferns and other fauna make up this huge vase and pretty oval server.  Another pennies find that had me doing the happy dance in the aisles.

My best find of all.  An Alexandrite crystal vase.  Big, heavy and changes colors with natural, flourscent or home lights and goes from a blue, blue violet, purple to purple red depending on the light source.  Has the look of the 1950-60s and the fine scratches on the bottom from shelf movement.  Have some homework to do to identify the artist or manufacturer. 

I had this antique iron wash bowl stand in my house for years.  I loved it and filled it with hand spun yarns.  The layers of paint and bare metal are terrific and what stories it must have told as these were an American mainstay at gold rush camps, brothels and sod homes during the 19th century. I acquired this baby while living in Flagstaff and have loved it.  It's now looking for a new home and is featured in my booth at Queen of Hearts.  I also added a Navajo rug and a bird house gourd. 

And finally, these neat, antique French Canadian Catholic Sacred Heart pins of church station.  

As you can see, sis and I had a banner day together with chocolate, new treasures, gossip and good times. I hope you all had the same. For me, the rest of the week means finalizing my taxes and cleaning out the last of what is stuffed in the guest room.  Gotta get that room squared away because we have a special family guest coming in again and we need to make her comfortable and welcome.  Blessings to you and those you love.  Sea Witch

7 comments:

just call me jo said...

You had me at chocolate. Hope the redo of your house is settling down. Good stuff.

Richard Cottrell said...

looks like you had an adventure.Richard from My Old Historic House.

Jacque said...

Hi Witch!

WOW...total madness, I agree! I'm been in similiar straights and I know it ain't fun but on a much lighter note, it does allow you to "pare down" some.

Good luck getting things back in order!

Great finds on your shopping trip! Thanks for sharing.

sassytrash said...

I can relate!! I still haven't recovered from the time my (upstairs) washer pumped water throughout both levels of my house while I was at work!! (My dog was found walking around in inch deep water) Thanks for stopping by my booth! I loved being there, but didn't have the time to do that great space justice!! We WILL meet soon!!

Stacey said...

Sorry to hear about the flood and the aftermath. However, this post combines my two favorite things - china and chocolate! I also learn a lot from your posts. I just gave a Polish stoneware bowl to the Goodwill; it looked very similar to yours. Oops. It just wasn't my thing. Aw well, one can't hang onto to everything, right?

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

I just love a chocolate shop..yours had so much to chose from! I also loved all your new finds.

Sorry to hear about your flood. You are the third person I know that had that happen to them, so far this young year!

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Too bad you had the flood, but if it allowed you to part with some of your decor and bring in new things you love, then I guess that might be a bright side. I adore that chocolate store of yours! I don't think I've ever seen one that nice before! Yum!

You sure are knowledgeable about all the antiques you sell. Wish I had your knack! :-)

-Pam