Monday, September 16, 2019

Florida Harvest

I adore living in Florida but I must share that I do miss the color explosion of fall.  There is something magical about leaves changing their colors, pumpkins in funny shapes and sizes  and in a range of pastel colors, crisp apples fresh from the trees and hot cider donuts fresh from the fat to the plate.  The best that I can do is make the cider donuts and decorate with faux pumpkins and then enjoy a Florida harvest of finds at my local haunts.

These vintage stacked pumpkins with the lights inside were 1980s decorating favorites.  This one still has the bright florescent orange paint.

Everyone loves the popular, Lefton turkeys that were salt and pepper shakers, planters and napkin holders.  I now have my mother's set and use at Thanksgiving, but I love it when I find these Lefton pieces to share in my booth space.  This Tom actually looks pretty happy sitting in a mid century pedestal compote.


This late Victorian, wool jacket with tails is a great steampunk for costumes and cosplay.  

Whenever I find quality silverplate or pewter I always think of my Atlanta, antique gal pal, Rose, who always finds/sells the prettiest silver for her space called Silver Glory.  I do miss her lovely spaces as I always found a treasure or two.  I acquired this set of four, Woodbury Pewter plates at my local thrift store.  Made in the USA, they are known for their high quality.  Perfect for setting your Thanksgiving table.   

This Victorian smelling salts/vinaigrette is the first I have ever found.  Sterling cap, it is missing the screw cap at the other end.  Lovely cut crystal, this is a marvelous find and I will keep if for a while.  I would love to find a cap for the other end so that hunt now begins.  The p of smelling salts are to around consciousness and are centuries old with found documentation as early as the Romans using them.  They are meant to help revive those that are faint of nerves or those that need some extra oxygen flow to help with breathing.

Haven't come across a vintage Halloween noisemaker in many, many years and this happy pumpkin is a sweetheart.  Vintage Halloween items still bring in high dollars.  


Found a charming quad plate creamer and three, mid century sequined Santa boot ornaments for the tree. 


I have a weak spot for early Windsor chairs and this is beautifully stenciled with bronzing powders and has its original red paint.  Definitely a keeper for me.


In no particular order, these were Goodwill finds, a teeny tiny vintage, oil can and a charming, souvenir cup and saucer in a Scottish thistle design.  Most likely imported from Germany.

and  finally, I actually harvested a pumpkin....well, not a pumpkin but a huge, dried gourd shaped like a pumpkin.  This is the only decorative pumpkin I can use in our hot and humid weather without the pumpkin imploding in three days. LOL.  

So to my friends who are enjoying the Indian Summer and stepping into fall, I wish you good harvest in your treasure hunts and to all, blessings to you and those you love.  Sea Witch

No comments: