Sunday, October 28, 2012

Slow Cook Oatmeal & Hello Dolly

Okay, here is the recipe for Slow Cooked Oatmeal that everyone is asking about.  This is the easiest recipe and makes a delicious oatmeal that is more like a bread pudding. Talk about having super food ready for you in the morning and low in calories. Oh, and it is outrageously easy to make and your family will love it.

Ingredients

    2 cups milk (skim works great)
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats (NOT INSTANT)
  • 2 cups chopped peeled apples ( I used Granny Smith or Arkansas Blacks)
  • 1/2 cup raisins or package of craisens
  • 1 TBS of sugar (white or raw, I prefer raw)
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
     Directions:  Heavily spray crock pot with Pam or other cooking spray.  Peel and Chop apples and add all ingredients except chopped walnuts into the crockpot.  Combine until mixed. Apples will rise to the top.
 
Cook on LOW. Very important, do not cook this on any other setting but LOW.  I usually start this before I go to bed and it will be ready when I wake up in the morning.

The apples are and tasty and the oatmeal is so full of flavor.  The slow cook process breaks down the sugars in the apples and in the raisins or craisins so you don't need a lot of sugar in the mix.  Fill your bowl and top with walnuts or pecans or diced dates.  My honey and I enjoy this so much that we have it for dessert with vanilla ice cream and fresh whipped cream.  For a more adult variation, soak the raisins or craisins in brandy and then add to the oatmeal.  I make this two nights in a row so I can put some up in 1/2 cup plastic bowls and freeze so I can grab it and nuke it whenever I want it.  


Shot this photo of raked leaves in my neighbor's yard as I was walking to visit my sister.  I love the soft colors of these raked leaves.

Had lots to do this weekend so no treasure hunts for me.  Still, I hit my local Goodwill to drop off some items and then made a quick run inside to see what was available.  I hit the jackpot with a series of Revere ware bowls all taped together. Two were large pieces, Reed & Barton quality silver plate with clear liners.  These must have been wedding gifts because they still had the blue foil label on the bottoms, no scratches and in perfect condition. One is a 12 inch diameter and the other an 8 inch in diameter bowl.

But the best Revere bowl in the lot of three was a small, 6 inch in diameter bowl that is marked Sterling. Yes, Sterling and approximately 113.5 grams.  I couldn't believe it. A vintage piece by Fina from the 1970s.  

 This sweet little Amber piece from the 1960s.  Perfect for a Thanksgiving table.

And finally, Hello Dolly.  Or more like hello dollies.  When I was fluffing booths last weekend, a couple asked if I was interested in vintage dolls.  They had a box load that had lots of issues and offered them at a great price so I brought them home, lined them up for a photo and have determined they are just creepy enough that I had to put them away.  Just couldn't leave them sitting out like that looking at me. LOL

I will clean them up, fix there hair and get them ready for Christmas.  There are 7 more that I couldn't fit into the photo.  As usual, the weekend goes by so fast, never enough time to do all that I plan. LOL.  Thanks for stopping by and blessings to you and those you love.   Sea Witch

7 comments:

Robin Larkspur said...

Oh my gosh, do you still have the amber plate available, I love it and have recently started collecting amber dishes. I will email you too, because I would love to buy it.

Robin Larkspur said...

Well, I was going to email you, but I can't seem to find an email address for you on your blog. So I hope you will contact me.
robin.larkspur@gmail.com

Greenpatches said...

Another oatmeal recipe to add to our collection! We have porridge every morning: made by a mix of soaking, cooking and microwaving; the recipe passed on to us by somebody when we were on our travels in Scotland last year.

Annie (Lady M) x said...

That porridge looks divine .. you have inspired me to take to the kitchen. But I am with you on the dolls, they are a bit creepy. Good luck with restoring them. I stopped by from 2 Bags Full 'grow your blog' event, and I am your newest follower! Annie

Tanya said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh - I LOVE this blog, and can see I am going to have a lot of reading to do on here in the next week. The oatmeal looks divine...anything that is like bread pudding is divine, actually! Happy Halloween - the dolls would look fabulously creepy sitting out for Halloween night! Tanya

Acorn to Oak said...

That oatmeal sounds delicious. I'm excited to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe. What a great find at Goodwill. Looks like a jackpot visit to me. :-)

Snugglebug Blessings said...

Well I love those sweet dollys and they will be less creepy once you get them all gussied up. Your revere bowls are just amazing and what a find! Lucky you. Congrats.

Cathy