Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Let Us Remember

On this Veterans Day, let us honor all of those who have given their lives in the pursuit of freedom, thank those who have previously fought, and those who continue to protect us today.

Oxford University prominently displays a letter Abraham Lincoln wrote to a mother who lost five sons in the Civil War. Scholars in England claim that Lincoln’s letter provides a “model of the purest English, rarely, if ever, surpassed.”

On Nov. 21, 1864, President Lincoln wrote to the widow Lydia Bixby:

Dear Madam,
I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.
I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,
A. Lincoln

You may recall hearing these words in the movie, "Saving Private Ryan." I cannot think of words truer that bring tears to my eyes, weight to my heart and thanks to my lips. Please join me in thanking a soldier, sailor, airman, or marine today for their commitment to this great country of ours and to what they give to the world.

Proud mother of a US Army Captain. Sea Witch

7 comments:

Ana said...

Beautiful post. Please tell your son I say THANK YOU! Have a wonderful day.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

Javajune said...

Beautiful post love it and love this somg kissing. Bliss is my fave band!!!
xo-jj

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sea Witch this was a beautiful tribute to all veterans! If it were not for the service of these brave men and women throughout our history we would have no country and none of the freedoms I think many take for granted these days.

Give your son my sincere thanks!

Happy Veterans Day!

Hugs, Pat

Trixie@ the vintage bothy said...

How very apt and beautifully written, I feel that it is a great shame for the Mothers today who do not recieve letters that are so moving, (I am writing from a British point of view, you may or may not know to whom I refer, but communications like this are very important to the people that recieve them). I join in the emotions of all mothers whose children are away from them. Tracey

Rebecca said...

Hello
What a beautiful post - I can't imagine losing my son let alone 5 sons. What a sacrifice that mother made... I thank all the men and women that are in service today and the sacrifice they make for this country but I also want to remember the mothers that have sacrificed their loved ones whether they be gone from them by miles or death. Blessings to you.
Rebecca

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Exceptional post. Thanks for visiting my blog, and for the sweet comment.Love visiting your blog.
Hugs,Pat

Kathy-Catnip Studio said...

Beautiful post.