Tuesday, November 17, 2009

was Slew, All in A day, by the Indiens

I have a fondness for cemeteries. They do not frighten me nor do I feel "creeped" out as many of my friends say of my interest in them. I have always found them to be peaceful places and an historical diary of communities. As I walk through them, I am always drawn to the words carved into the markers by those who helped these individuals pass. When I was traveling in New England several weeks ago, my honey wanted to take me to the South Nashua, New Hampshire cemetery that he often visited as a boy. It was a lovely autumn morning, with just a light chill in the air and a brilliant blue sky as a backdrop. If you are not aware of its location, you will drive right by it as it is just off of a busy highway. A hidden gem of this area's history so to speak.

Once a one room schoolhouse, this building now serves as storage for funeral tents, chairs, and other equipment. Lovely, old brick building with a working hand pump around the side.


This blazing red tree stands next to this grouping of head stones from the 18th and 19th century.


The leaves were at the height of their color change and it seemed like a fitting mantle to those who now rest here.


The older slate stones seemed to hold their inscriptions better than the granite markers that already showed signs of decay from pollution. Many of the inscriptions on the granite stones were difficult to read as they had become soft and muddied.


Another tree ablaze with color in this quiet resting place.


Slate stone has lovely memorial carving of a weeping willow tree. Typical of the historical mourning symbols. Rebecca was 2 years and 10 months when she crossed over. Rest peacefully, sweet Rebecca.


You can still see the scribe marks that the sculptor used as a guide to carve the lettering on the marker. Here lies the body of Mrs. Jemima Houston - wife of Mr. Ovid Houston - who departed this life December 26, 1765 - in 27th year of her life.

Marker with lovely deep carving in memory of Mr. Ovid Houston's second wife, Catherine Houston. November 17, 1778, departed in the 45th year of her age.



My favorite stone. Inscribed: Memento, Mori. Here lies the body of Mr. Thomas Lund. Who Departed this life Sept 5th, 1724 in the 42 year of his Age. this man, with Seven more that lies in this Grave; was Slew, All in A day, by the Indiens. I have written this exactly as taken from the marker.
These markers are what draws me to these hallowed places, to touch first hand our country's history. To feel some of the spirit that another before me has brought to this ground. Sea Witch

7 comments:

Trixie@ the vintage bothy said...

Hi there, what lovely carvings on the headstones, very naive in style. My mum and I also love gravestones and ecclesiastical architecture, living in the UK we don't always appreciate what we have. The time I climed the dome of St.Pauls I found that I suffer terribly from vertigo and was frozen to the spot and turned shades white through to green. My son was a chorister at Tewkesbury Abbey & to hear him sing there was mind blowing. I wonder what else we may have in common?! Tracey

Jacque said...

Hey Witch...i love those tombstones and those trees were so pretty. I am happy that you got to go up to New England at the peak of season!

It is sad to see so many people that died so young back then! I can't believe that one grave held 7 bodies! You just never know what is in a grave!

They just dont write inscriptions on tombstones like they used to either! I've read some beautiful, sad, and silly ones.

I am so happy that you are going to get to see your new babies Thanksgiving. I bet your little ravioli is so excited too!

Enjoy your time with them! Have a great week.

Barb said...

Hi Sea Witch,

I love cemeteries also. I find them very peaceful (at this point, hubs would be saying "duh"). The markers are artworks in themselves.

I just read Jacque's comment- Yay, you will be seeing the new grans soon.

Hugs,
Barb

Pam @ Frippery said...

Hi Witchy One, Cemeteries are a favorite of mine as well. Beautiful and peaceful. Your photography is wonderful. I do love the last inscription, "all in a day" indeed. Fascinating. Take care, Pam

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

You know I love old cemeteries Sea Witch. It's hard to explain but I do know what you mean about feeling peaceful in them.

That last tombstone is exceptional! A whole book could be written from just those few words on the inscription. Hard to imagine those times now.

Enjoy your visit to see your grandchildren! I can't wait to see my little guy soon.

Hugs, Pat

susan said so said...

I also love old cemeteries; I've never been too one that frightened me. The living are more dangerous than the departed, I'll wager.

Our beloved local cemetery, Cave Hill Cemetery, is a favorite sightseeing destination for out-of-towners, because of its 300 acres of trees, rolling hills, lakes, and beautiful monuments. Although not as old as the cemetery above (Cave Hill dates to the the mid-1800s) it is an idyllic "garden cemetery," and is more park-like than any cemetery I've seen.

xox,
Susan

confessionsoasineater.blogspot.com

secret word: dista

Kathleen said...

I love the old tombstones. I am so glad you took pics, and shared them. I have been to Nashua many times, guess I missed out on this. Looks like it was a real beautiful day. Hugs, Kathleen