Wednesday, March 13, 2019

March Madness

Yeah, we are all a little made here.  Collectors, antique lovers...we are always on the hunt for "as my late husband often said, " what floats our boat.   The Florida "winter/spring" season brings yard and estate sales and since so many are held by retirees there are usually no tables filled with baby and kids things. LOL  

I swung by a yard sale that was a few streets from me and got a bag full of "granny jewelry" as it was marked.  Lucky me, there were some great pieces inside.

A huge metal with gold tone wash car coat brooch from the 1930-40s.

 A gorgeous 1950s, three strand necklace of brilliant emerald greens with austrian crystals.

Fantastic 1940s art Deco racing greyhounds pin, Marked sterling with finish for anti tarnish.

Marvelous set of heavily carved butterscotch bakelite dress clips. Circa 1930s  These are gorgeous and I had to fight myself not to keep them.


Pretty, 1970s porcelain horse locket on goldtone metal. This was in my display case 48 hours before it sold.

This sweet little bird family by Norleans of Japan was another yard sale find. 

Cleaned out a few boxes left over from my move here and discovered treasure that I had packed away.

Nifty Bull-Dog vintage lock.

Delightful figural Christmas tree bulb street lamp.  
Milk glass with over paint,. Japan, circa 1930s

Salesman’s sample/child’s toy flour sifter.  Patent number dates this at 1906 but these were produced through the early 1930s. 

Lovely late Victorian Tallit Bag.  Burgundy velvet with gold bullion embroidery.  
Circa 1890s-1900s

My local Goodwill had several antique books hiding among the usual stacks.

Book of Jewish Prayer opens left to right.

English and Hebrew.

I adore pre-WW2 cookbooks and this one is a gem.

Beautiful Mother Goose cover with stories inside.

The paper is fragile but the pen and ink illustrations are marvelous.

Inside are many rarely read rhymes as well.

Not familiar with this title or author but it is an interesting read.

The first leaf has lots of age spotting but it is the script that I love best.

And finally, this is a big oval mirror that was a mess of pink and yellow paint.  I gave it a new look with my favorite color, french aqua, and then sealed it with kona stain and wax.  Now I am busy talking with myself about not keeping it as I love the way it turned out.  I really don't have space for it but my other voice keeps saying I will find one.  I hate when this happens.  You will have to visit my next blog post to see if I hang it or put a price tag on it.

Have a safe and merry St. Patricks Day weekend and as always, blessings to you and those you love. Sea Witch

No comments: