Monday, August 1, 2011

Treasure hunting in the heat.

Another hot weekend in Atlanta.  Temps are pushing 100 degrees and the heat index is way over that.  When it's this hot, not too many estate sales or yard sales are running so I headed to my favorite place for treasure.  The heat was so bad that you burned yourself picking up anything off of their outdoor tables.  Not a lot this trip but the fun is that I never know what I am going to come across at this place.  My first find was a pretty little enamel dogwood dish from mid century artist Margaret Ratcliff.  I have been "lucky" with contemporary art pieces from art glass, prints and pieces like this and they sell quiickly in my booths.

A local artist of Atlanta, born in the 1920s, her pieces are always sought after and especially her dogwood items.


There's no place like home.  Hey, any great pair of shoes will let you click your heels and find yourself in a dream. A great find, lovely pair of Victorian wedding shoes with steel cut beading.  Pretty silk has begun to shred but the leather soles are in excellent condition and these size 6s are actually wearable. 

Neat photograph of a "teaching" doctor, circa 1930s.  I love old photographs, something about them speaks to me.  I always see stories in them.

Another lovely photograph of a young girl reading 1937.  What a sweet face. Don't you love the moment that the photographer captured of this young girl?

Fantastic diamond optic amethyst purple compote.  Very 1960s 

Sold my large chandelier so brought in this huge and heavy pendant lamp.  Looks small in the photo but it is a big piece.

After "fluffing" up my booths, I dropped off some items at the local Goodwill and did a quick run around to see what I could find.

Couldn't believe my luck when I saw a group of Precious Moments figurines. Something I don't usually pick up but they were all priced at $2.92 each and I grabbed every one.  Most of them are from 1976 through 1985 and two of them are music boxes.

Many of them were either retired or suspended.


These were large pieces and in perfect condition.


How cute is this Thanksgiving figurine?

Sweet music boxes play Brahms Lullaby.
Spent most of Sunday looking up secondary market values and pricing for the store.  Because I obtained then at a very low price, I will  price them way below market value to pass a good deal on to the buyer. 

What I love about the hunt is being able to pass a good find to my buyers. Half the fun of of collecting is the "good deal" whether you buy, sell or trade.

Have a wonderful week all, stay cool.  Sea Witch

2 comments:

Pam @ Frippery said...

Oh good finds! I love the shoes. Stay cool and keep sharing your treasure, Pam

Richard Cottrell said...

It is too hot to live here. 99 to day and over 100 for the next few. I am not doing so well. Would be a good time to be down under the sea. Richard at My Old Historic House