Thursday, June 17, 2010

New header - Summer swap

Yes, it was time for a new header.  Unfortunately, I was unable to take any photos under the sea this time around.  I'll share about my recent trip to Man of War Cay in future posts. It was a trip that had highs and lows and a major decision to be made.  So I went back to our trip to Cancun last December and pulled out this shot of a brilliant blue trunk fish.  This particular fish was about 24 inches in length and brilliant blue with yellow and white leopard type spotting.  He moved lazily through the water so I was able to get a few good shots of him. 

All photos enlarge if you click on them.

I like trunk fish. They are one of my favorite reef species for their odd shaped little bodies and their slow moving confidence as they swim about the reefs. 

I finally got my summer swap sent off this week.  I always seem to be a few days behind these days so I hope the wait will be worth it for my partner.  She created such a lovely sea swap journal for me.  This was the first time I have ever produced a journal from scratch.  My partner had chosen the 1940's as her beach theme.  I tried to utilize as many vintage photos and other elements to give it a variety of 1940's beach looks.

The front cover.

Pockets full of beach treasure.

Closeup of vintage photos.

Pretty batik fabric and other elements.

A Weekee Watchie mermaid look.

Trips to Jones Beach brought memories of cars in traffic, postcards, picnic lunches and souvenirs.  This was a fun swap and I got the opportunity to work with handmade paper, creating my own binding system and filling various pockets with treasure.  I learned a lot about what you can and can't do with handmade paper along the way as well. Part of the fun of creating is having to take a new tack from what originally envisioned.  I hope my partner enjoys her sea swap journal as much as I had making it.  Wishing everyone a wonderful Friday. Sea Witch

8 comments:

Crowing Moon said...

What a beautiful fish! The new header looks great and so does your journal. I'm sure your swap partner will love it. :)

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Beautiful new header and perfect for the summer! Have a great weekend sea witch!
Tina xo

Unknown said...

Lovely! You would have so much fun doing your own sewn bookbindings! Really not that hard at all... Brian and I have had a lot of fun doing them in the past, but haven't pulled the stuff out this year. Check out youtube for coptic bookbinding for my favorite sewn binding.

Ana said...

The journal turned out beautiful...I'm positive your swap partner will absolutely love it. Oh and cool new header pic. What and intresting looking fish. Wishing you a wonderful weekend my dear friend.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

That trunk fish is stunning. Such a beautiful shade of blue.
Love the journal! What a fun swap that must have been. Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Doris Sturm said...

To me there's nothing more brilliant than the colors of underwater sealife - ocean life...it alsmost looks like another planet. I sure hope man doesn't destroy it all!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks so great. Love the colours and pockets. The fish has a wonderful print and colour. I can imagine why you like it.
Have a wonderful day !!!!

Madame DeFarge said...

Great pictures of the fish and the journal looks so fab. I'm very envious of the creativity on display. Hope you had a great weekend.